Do you consider yourself to be a creative individual? There is actually more to creativity than meets the eye…..
Neuroscience explains the complexity of creativity. As scientists now understand it, creativity is far more complex than the right-left brain distinction would have us think (the theory being that left brain = rational and analytical, right brain = creative and emotional).
“It’s actually hard for creative people to know themselves because the creative self is more complex than the non-creative self,” Scott Barry Kaufman, a psychologist at New York University who has spent years researching creativity, told The Huffington Post. “The things that stand out the most are the paradoxes of the creative self … Imaginative people have messier minds.”
Here are the 18 things that highly creative people do….any of these sound familiar? :
- Daydream – It IS productive!
- Observe everything – “Nothing is lost.”
- Works hours that work best for them -Night owl? Early Bird?
- Take the time for solitude – Okay with being alone.
- Turn obstacles around – When life gives you lemons…
- Seek new experiences – Bungee Jumping? Let’s go!
- Know how to fail – And make something of it
- Ask big questions – Curious about everything!
- People watch – Like to observe human nature.
- Take Risks – Not a job for the timid
- View all of life as an opportunity for self-expression – All life should be a work of art
- Follow their true passions – Motivated by themselves.
- Get out of the head – Broader than themselves and their perspectives
- Lose track of time – Is it already midnight? Geez, time flies!
- Surround themselves with beauty – Beauty is in the eye of the beholder
- Connect the dots – Can come up with a vision
- Shake things up – “We are the movers and shakers of the world it seems.”
- Make time for mindfulness – a “Mental health day” is a healthy thing
Creativity is a method of expression and can help you understand your deeply rooted passions and ultimate goals. So relish in your creativity, sharpen your skills, knowledge and abilities so that you can utilize them as you explore your future personal and career goals no matter how complex or messy the mind may make them originally seem!
Referenced article: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/04/creativity-habits_n_4859769.html